September 10, 2009

The lost post about our beach trip

We went to the beach this summer...our once a year trip...I wrote this blog post up ages ago and it never made it here.  So...without further delay...our beach trip.  Just keep in mind that "last Saturday" took place some weekend in July!

On Saturday we made our way to Seaside for a little beach action.  We always get the best pictures of the kids at the beach and try to get there once a year at least.  The kids love to play in the water, Will especially, and he just discovered this year that the water tasted a little bit salty.  Uh..yeah!  This year he managed to get out up to his hips almost, a bit scary for mom and dad but pretty brave on his part.  He worked so hard to jump the waves and was surprised when one managed to knock him over and he got wet up to his ears.  Brrr…that’s cold. 

We took some time to enjoy (kind of) the Seaside boardwalk.  Will had been down here a few months ago and loved riding the Tilt a Whirl.  Somehow he convinced me to go.  I should preface this with the fact that carnival rides make me sick-event he ferris wheel gets my stomach going.  I prefer to watch from a bench with an elephant ear in hand (well mouth) but since rob went last time, I felt obligated to ride this time.  Addison wanted to go to which made me happy I figured if she threw up it would give me the green light to throw up my lunch too and blame it on the kid.  It was then that I had horrible flashbacks to my eighth grade field trip to Oaks Park where I was forced to ride the spider by my friends and to impress some boys.  I ended up getting sick just as our piece of the ride was at the very peak, about 25 feet in the air.  I managed to get my head off to the left and throw up on the line waiting to get on the ride.  I tried to play it off like it wasn’t me when I was in the bathroom and a group of girls were saying how gross it was to get throw up on (it is) but then someone came running in explaining that they had picture proof it was me (on a 35mm camera because there was no digital but proof nonetheless).  I was mortified.  But…back to the tilt o whirl.  We got on and this woman that looked like a man gave me the look that I took for absolute certainty that this would be the worst ride ever.  And..it was….I walked off feeling sick and light-headed.  That feeling like if you turn your head just too fast you may throw up all over everything.  Well, I didn’t do that but I felt like crap for the next four hours!

Our feet photo
For whatever reason the Storm Troopers were just hanging out on the beach that day.  
The ride that made me sick and reminded me that carnivals are scary.
The shipwrecked boat at Fort Stevens.  This place is definitely on the list of camping destinations for next year.  
Say CHEESE!

This picture is up on our wall now at home.  I think it captures summer at the beach so well.  All that effort to get over one big wave!


1 comment:

Erin Walsh said...

I remember that trip to Oaks Park and I also remember the photographic evidence. Someone literally caught a picture with the vomit flying out of your mouth. Classic. Next time you go to a carnival, bring me along. I love all the rides. :)