January 25, 2011

How first grade rips the innocence from children.

Or I could word this "what first graders learn on the rug when their teachers aren't looking".   Last night, after Will had read and the lights had been turned out he came wandering out to the living room where Rob and I were engrossed in TV.  From behind the lamp he stretched out his arm and said "what does this mean mom?" and then showed me an awkward middle finger pose only instead of flipping me off with the back of his hands, he did it with the front of his hand.  Instead of overreacting, I said calmly, 'gosh. where did you learn that?!' kind of pretending like I had no idea (yeah right.).  He tells me it was Emily, on the rug during circle time when his teacher was busy with something else.  It was like an easy game of Clue and he gave away the whole envelope right there.  'Well...what did Emily say it meant' I asked.  Will's reply...The F word.  Thank heavens that he didn't actually say the F word and instead referred to it as the F word.  Then he goes on to tell me that Emily says the F word is worse than Ass - which he learned last week.

Have we lost all innocence with youth!  It breaks my heart that first graders are learning swear words.  yeah..I get it.  I'm still a bit naive in thinking that the world can be hearts and butterflies until at least third grade. WRONG.  1st grade is evil and full of morally corrupt kids with equally as corrupt parents.  Really..it's one kid and an overpopulated classroom and the bad word spreads like wildfire.  Either way. it makes me sad.

No comments: