March 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Little Man!

I had Will in the morning.  About 6:20 I think (i'm not good at remembering things like this).  I do remember waiting in the hospital lobby until midnight so that I could screw the insurance company out of another 24 hours of stay.  I walked those damn hallways for at least an hour nearly doubling over with each contraction.  Bless my sister's heart, she was the receiver of a handful of nails, and my mother too, who so kindly - in only a way a mother can-said, it will go away.  To hell it would go away I thought!  

But really, the whole getting the baby out thing, wasn't so bad.  We were THRILLED to have him in our arms.  What a sight he was. I remember thinking that time had stopped and handed me this little gift that was gorgeous and then just stood still for awhile.  We spent the first month holed up in our house eating food my mom brought.  We called it baby-vision and those with kids know what I'm talking about.  We sat for hours and watched him.  He could be doing nothing and we watched.   We were in awe of our little man Will.  

And then last week, on Thursday, I woke him up, at about 6:20, gave him a big hug and realized that he'd turned FIVE.  Five I say, where in the world does time go.  People tell you all the time that time moves in fast forward with kids.  I think it's faster than that. It's like warp speed.  He's this little person, that walks and talks and thinks all by himself.  He tells me what he wants for dinner and reminds me to say nice things to other cars when we're out driving. He's still young enough to want to cuddle at night, but almost too cool for Sesame Street and Elmo.  he's so excited to get on the big yellow school bus in September, he's almost giddy.  And the playground at school!  The boy is thrilled.  

it's hard to pinpoint when exactly he grew up.  Was it when he started to walk? or when he finally got potty trained?  Or maybe it was when he would wander out to the backyard to play cars by himself?  Or when he read his first book?  or got his own drink of water from the refrigerator? or when he told me for the first time "it's ok mom, I'm not sad" as if he was 25 years old consoling me for something?  I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but it did and I can only image that from here on out time will move even faster and before  know it, he'll be 18.  

Too celebrate his birthday, we have more activities planned than should be allowed.  We woke him up early this morning-well Addison did mostly-singing Happy Birthday and playing some musical instrument that was destined to wake anyone up.  
  
We opened presents before school which all came from the Star Wars aisle at the local retailer.  After daycare, we headed to the bakery to pick up a cake (i forgot to make one) and then to the bowling alley.  Let me just say that bowling is SO. MUCH. FUN.  The whole family was there, and maybe it was just me, but I loved it.  Will liked it to and so did Addison.  She especially loved the fan that you're supposed to use to dry your hands.  
 
She really liked that.   


  After bowling it was back home for cake and more presents. The boy was worn out by bed time!  
  

No comments: