August 16, 2009

Sunriver

This summer marked our first trip to Sunriver.  I never spent much time in Sunriver as a kid because we always went to the cabin to play in the summer.  I do actually, now that I think about it, remember trips there in the winter for skiing and vacations with childhood friends...  Everyone talks about how great Sunriver is, and i'd have to agree.  The perfect spot for the outdoors-family.  We were only there as guest with friends for a few short days but man did we have fun.  

on Tuesday, the kids hunted for "snipes".  Apparently I am the last person in the world to know what snipes are.  And since Will is reading everything in sight, I'll let you ask your own mom and dad about the specifics of these little devils but let's just say that they are real hard to find.  And in order to catch one in the tall grass, at which point you are supposed to tackle them, you must very loudly say "Snipe, snipe, snipe" in a high pitch voice.  If I can remember, I must get snipe hunting on video.  Picture this though...6 children, one official snipe hunter (rob-who knew?!), and a snip hunter in training.  It was great.  

We also rode bikes with Will on tandem and Addi in trailer.  We did the whole loop past the Deschutes, the airport and the golf course.  We played in the indoor hot tub-whoever built Sunriver knew what they were thinking, and ate at the cute little town.  Rob and I also drove up to Bachelor and reminded ourselves of how much we want to teach the kids to ski and how Bachelor is the perfect place to do.  

On our last day there we popped over to the Lava Fields and then to the Lava caves.  If you haven't been, go.  The lava cave is a 1 mile+ walk down into the earth.  No ligthts (you can rent lanterns) and no other way out than the one you came in.  Both kids did great.  We may have been a little under dressed but that just made us walk faster.  It was crazy in there.  Dark, wet, cold, sandy...amazing.  Will and Rob made it all the way to the VERY end where they army crawled their way to a wall of sand that just ends...almost as quickly as it begins.  Addi got tired of crouching down to walk and didn't quite grasp the army crawl move yet so we sat just a few yards away.  Next time!

Let the Snipe hunting begin!
A cold dip in the Deschutes on our bike ride

Will is contemplating the creation of lava fields here.  It makes my head hurt. 





Both kids are mastering the camera which means more pictures of Rob and I...good for the memory books but that leaves you stuck with silly pictures liek Rob pretending to hold up a rock.  See it woudl have been so much cuter if you just saw the one of Will...






















The group before heading down...


















The stairs down are long.  I think I heard a kid count 76 steps down.  And then you start climbing over rocks. 


















Here's a family photo for the Christmas card!




















That's the army crawl move and Addison deciding maybe it wasn't such a good idea...

No comments: