March 15, 2010

How to upload a video



Erin-we no longer are allowed to talk via email. I only answer questions via blog (just kidding) but here's how I upload video.

1. Go start a youtube.com account. You can do a lot with this...a lot. and when you are a teacher, you'll be worried about the weird students that are following you. but whatever. (as a side note...i used to use google videos for video uploads but google ditched that business and then invested millions in YouTube because they clearly have internet videos figured out-just a side note)

2. Click on the upload button at the top of the page. Here is where the button is:

3. Follow the directions on the next page....title the movie...give it a description...and then hit upload. If the movie is long-this will take forever. I recommend doing a short one. Just so you don't wait forever (without access to our beloved google reader) only to have the whole damn thing crash on you. For the video below, the upload took about 15 minutes.

4. After the green bar comes up and youtube tells you that you are DONE...Click on that 'Embed and Sharing Options' link just below the film strip (see the arrow below)

5. On this next page there is going to be a line that says something like "embed video". It will be a string of letters and numbers. I would show you a picture but I closed the window and now I can't get back to the page.

6. Copy that code. It's essentially computer language that somehow equates to that video of cute little Conor that you want to put up. (Actually, it's a referencing link that tells your blog to look at youtube.com at whatever little address you just copied. Clear as mud right?)

7. Now paste that code in your blog. Think you can just post it anywhere....here, let me try...

Cute video of Baby Will

yep! It worked. There's the video. And the cool thing is that the video lives on youtube and your blog lives over here on blogger. if blogger fails (i'll tell you about backing it up soon as I'm knee deep in a project) then you still have the videos.

8. If you have the video on your desktop, then follow this....

.go back to your blogger page, open a new post and type away. Then, just like you would add an image, add a video. The video icon is just to the right of the image one on that toolbar up there ^^^. Find your video on your desktop and upload. Sometimes this way does not work for me because blogger times out and nothing loads.

Hope this helps!

2 comments:

Erin Walsh said...

Thanks! I"ll try the YouTube route later today. I"ve tried loading directly to blogger but, like you said, it always times out.

Thanks!

Taneha said...

YouTube video up load has always worked for me. Good luck!