June 21, 2011

Playing catch up: APpril 5th - Painting Legos

The past few months have been a whirlwind of baseball, school, house projects, and planning.  Plus playing and celebrating. I've been tired and there was a time when I woke up every morning at 3am, couldn't fall back to sleep and so just got up.  That makes for a long day and an early bed time.

Now that summer break is here, it's time to play CATCH UP!!!  I blog to keep a record of what we do in life.  We also write in journals for the kids but the blog includes pictures and images of our life.  So....instead of just pretending like the past 3 months didn't happen, I'll be playing catch up/flash back for the next few weeks.

The date in my iPhoto says April 5th on this so I'm going with that day...April 5th.  Will was consumed at the moment with painting his Lego mini figures to suit his needs just perfectly.  We have what feels like 1000 mini figs in our house, most of them are storm troopers that have the white helmets.  These were the perfect canvas for personalization.  I broke out paints and brushes for Will and he set to work.
I love his look of determination and his concentration on the the little things.  

As Will gets older, it seems that every boy is crazy, wild, rambunctious, and never slowing down (and most people think this is ok and justifiable).  Sometimes I feel like that describes Will perfectly and yet I know that he has the ability to focus, concentrate and get things done. So when I see him do things like this, I remember that sometimes kids just need a bit of focus.   I know it's the essence of childhood, but really, if you think about it, kids spend their days doing whatever adults want them to do.  Work at school, chores at home, drills at practice....What about the things that they want to do....

This was something that he wanted to do.  In fact, we kept asking him 'are you sure?" and he kept saying yes!  He took ownership of it.  And he got to take total control.  And the result what exactly what he wanted.  

No comments: