July 14, 2011

Conversation of the day...

I love summers with my family.  My kids are more relaxed, the days move slower, I can breathe and not worry about the next to-do, I can put off today what can wait until tomorrow and everyone just feels rested.  I had high hopes of a cute way to display our summer goals this year.  Something fun and summery for the wall that we could cross off.  it didn't happen.  But we still talked about goals back in June before school let out.  Will is the most goal oriented one of us.  he likes to know what he's supposed to be doing and when, and all the details in between.  On his summer goal list were the following:
  1. Learn to tie shoes
  2. Move to the big boy bike with shifting gears
  3. Wipe is own bottom after going to the bathroom (you know what I mean)
Today he came inside while I was fixing dinner and says 'The only thing left to do this summer is to wipe my own buns!'  and then he smiled and walked back out to the garage.  He mastered the big bike and flew up the hill using gears and shifters and handlebar breaks.  This weekend, he and Rob will head for Nana and Papa's house on their bikes....taking on all 22+ miles.  WOW.  It takes most of the morning to complete but the two have the best time.   Addison and I will be garage saling!

Tying the shoes is a work in progress (I think all children's shoes should come with extra long laces so that they can be more easily maneuvered for the tight tie that kids want but just can't get) but he's getting it.  I can say 'Tie your shoes Will' and he will!  WHAT! WHAT!   Best news of the day.  So nice to not tie shoes all the time (who am I kidding....i never let them wear tie shoes) so Yeah for cute tie shoes!

In other summer activities, Addison is reading her first chapter book and is so big and grown up.  Will is engrossed in the Charlie Bone series that he and I are reading together. 

I'm a few books behind him thought because he reads so fast and so much but it's fun to have another human to discuss a book with around this place.  Usually it's just me and amazon.com reviews.  I'm also reading the Hunger Games series which is the perfect excuse to sit on a couch cuddled up in a blanket. 

The baby continues to kick away like an acrobat and it's hard to believe that we will be 5 in just a few short weeks.  crazy.  no name to date although a lot of suggestions from the who;e family!





No comments: