June 13, 2010

Running and the throwing up that followed...

Yesterday was the Helvetia Half Marathon and 10k race. Aunt Lyndsey decides on Thursday she thinks she'll run the 10k (farthest run to date 4 miles). Her preggo friend Jill wants to do it too, so my mom and I jump on board as well. It's 6.2 miles or so, nice course, fun race. So Lyndsey is running, it's all good and then the end of the course is in sight. The race finishes on the field of the Hillsboro stadium and runners literally have to zigzag their way across the field to get to the finish line. I had finished a few minutes ahead of lyndsey and so I got to watch the runners come through the finishing 'shoot'. Well, I was chatting it up with a lady and all of a sudden we saw this girl running and then throwing up (to her right, this is an important part of the story for Lyndsey) and then run, then throw up, then run. The lady next me gives a little yelp and I think out loud..."I think that's Lyndsey....". Then she does it again, and again and then just 2 feet from the finish line she stops off to have a real good throw up. At this point the paramedics are called and she looks like Hell. but then, just like that, she runs across the finish line. And that my friends was the BEST ending to a race I've EVER seen. Oh, and quite a way to celebrate your first 10K. And then, in true Hawkins form, we at burgers. Lovely!

No comments: