June 02, 2010

Tonight I took the time at bedtime and laid down with Will in his bed and we chatted. He loves to talk at night, at about Twilight, when he's calmed his mind and settling into a long nights sleep. I forget how much I love these talks. He's sweet, innocent, and genuine. He asks the cutest questions, shows me just how smart he really is, and opens my eyes to the mind of a 6 year and makes me love him despite the terrible last week we've had with him.

Tonight he explained fractions to me. He wanted a drink of water but of course we were all tucked in. I said yes, and he asked a for a full cup. I said half. He scurries off to the bathroom and then comes back to tell me he had 1/2 a cup plus 1/2 of a 1/2. Wait he says...that's 1/4. I had 1/2 plus 1/4. What's that equal I ask...silence while processing....3/4, 1/4 less than a whole. HUH? true, but almost too much to grasp before falling asleep.

He also had me sing Happy Birthday to his stuffed animal Moonkey who turned 1 yesterday. Yesterday was a bad day for Will and he went to bed without us singing Happy Birthday to Moonkey. He was devastated a cried himself to sleep with the song lingering on his tongue. So sweet that he's worried about a stuffed animal. How is the innocence of youth lost? It seems like it is something that we would want to hold on to as long as possible - cradle in our arms like a delicate baby.

I need to make it a priority to chat more often. I learn the most about my son during these chats and owe it to him (and myself).

No comments: