Finding Junie B. was interesting. I'm slightly concerned that Will may be a bit of a know-it-all at school next year. Rob thinks I have my teacher eyes on him too closely and maybe I do, it's just that the boy can hardly stand to lose or be wrong and (if he is anything like me) than he'll try anything to stay head and always be right. And while that's ok for adults (it is ok right?) I'm not sure how that will go over in a room of 6 year olds. So I ask my friend Julie who teaches little munchkins about a way to spark up a conversation with Will about said topic. Thank god for teacher friends because she instantly says "you need Junie B." Tell me more I ask. Well, turns out Julie reads Junie B. Jones to her students and they stop and talk every page or so about Junie B. She asks the great questions like "would you want to be friends with Junie B?" or "Is that what we say to adults?" You know...the real important life shaper questions. So I RUN to the library the next day and pick up 4 Junie B. books (Barbara Park is the author for all you school aged moms reading) and I pack them for our cabin trip. The first one we read is Junie B Jones and some Sneaky Peeky Spying.
What's more...Junie B. has grabbed the attention of Will and will not let go. He reads at least a book a night by himself in his bed with his light on. I love to read and was bummed last summer when Will was only somewhat interested in books. I asked my friend Holly when her older son fell in love with books. Her advice was to wait it out...it would happen. and happen it did! It makes me so happy to have Will love books like I do. He gobbles them up whenever he can. He talks about Junie B. like a friend and we share that look when something happens and we both know what Junie B. would do (it's probably naughty) and we laugh out loud together. I am already sad for the day we read the last Junie B. book and am excited for when Addison will pick them up to enjoy them in a year or two.
For now...I get to peek in on Will at night, snuggled under his covers with a good book in his lap and a smile on his face. That is one of the best memories I can think of holding on to.


No comments:
Post a Comment